Every police organization knows how time-consuming the task of employee scheduling is. With challenging scheduling demands and multiple tasks and responsibilities, police organizations are no longer able to rely on pen and paper for their scheduling needs.
Many police scheduling software systems are compatible with iOS and Android via a police scheduling app. Scheduling apps enable 24/7 access to schedules and can give officers a clear view of their total hours worked. A well-rounded scheduling app can also increase agency communication, coordinate time-off requests more effectively and reduce scheduling errors.
What to look for in a police scheduling app:
When it comes to a police scheduling app, there are a few important factors that every good app should have. A great scheduling app will function better than average apps due to:
- Functionality: A great app shouldn’t have glitches. It should also have the flexibility to customize schedules and use beneficial features, like drag-and-drop and alert notifications.
- Cost: Look for flexible pricing that won’t push your agency budget over. Make sure the pricing fits your budget, team size and needed features.
- Integration: Easy integration will allow you to have everything you need, all in one place.
- Customer support: Choose an app that has reputable customer support. If your app ever goes down, you’re going to need a support team that’s reachable at all times.
A star police scheduling app should also reflect the same important features as its desktop version. For officers and department employees, there shouldn’t be a big difference between their desktop schedule view and their app schedule view.
Benefits of a police scheduling app
Police officers have a challenging job as is, so agencies need to implement systems that will alleviate their stress, rather than build to it. A police scheduling app will allow your officers to know exactly what their schedules are, such as where they will be working, who they will be working with and when they will be working. Any last-minute changes will be reflected in the app, reducing any miscommunication and time spent trying to call other squads.
Other benefits of a police scheduling app include:
- Easier to track and approve overtime
- Quick problem-solving for sudden changes and emergencies
- Easier to manage time-off requests
- Your entire organization can see their schedules all in one place
The 5 Best Police Scheduling Apps
In addition to InTime’s robust desktop application, police officers can also access InTime from any web-based portal. This includes Android and iOS smartphones through the InTime Mobile app.
The InTime app is easy-to-use and gives police officers on-the-go access to their shift schedules and details. It also allows police officers to sign up as soon as new shifts are posted. Using the InTime app, police officers can:
- View individual and team schedules
- Request time off and vacation
- Receive instant alerts
- Sign up for shits, extra duty and overtime
- Punch in & out
- View on-demand wellness resources
With InTime’s intuitive app, police officers can save time by viewing their schedules, and requesting time off or signing up for shifts from any device. The straightforward app leaves no room for error and allows every member of the organization to view their schedule in real-time, no matter where they are.
Cost: InTime’s pricing varies based on your agency’s needs. Contact InTime to learn more.
When I Work is an employee scheduling app that caters to many different industries. Unlike other software systems on this list, When I Work software was originally designed as an app. The app allows you to create employee schedules in minutes and easily notify your team of any sudden changes. Key features of the app include:
- Time clocks and time tracking
- Easy shift sign up
- Team messaging or individual communication
- Time off requests
When I Work is easy to adopt for teams of any size, allowing agencies to scale as needed. It also handles shift eligibility, ensuring you always have the right people at the right place.
Cost: Pricing varies depending on users. Standard users are $2.50/per user and advanced users are $6.00/per user.
ScheduleAnywhere is an employee scheduling software that focuses on officer shift scheduling. Its app allows users to build shift schedules and communicate easily with the rest of the organization. Key features of the ScheduleAnywhere app include:
- 24/7 access to your shift schedule
- Last-minute changes
- Repost schedules to easily notify your department of schedule changes
- Simplified time-off process
Cost: Pricing varies depending on organization size.
Employees of an organization using Snap Schedule can use the Snap Schedule app to access their work schedules whenever they need them. The app allows employees to perform many self-service options, such as:
- Request leave and time off
- View time card information
- Bid on open shifts
- Contact colleagues
- Trade and pick-up shifts
Cost: Pricing varies depending on the product and users. Annual subscription to Snap Schedule365 varies, beginning at $450/year. Snap Schedule is $450 for one computer and Snap Schedule Premium is $995 for one computer.
VCS is a workforce management software solution that services many industries, including police. Key features of its workforce management software include easy overtime processes, streamlined officer scheduling and compliance management. While it can be used on its own, VCS is intended to work best as part of a full scheduling package to combine police and emergency services. Key features of the VCS app include:
- Punch in and out
- 24/7 schedule visibility
- Ability to view reports
- Time off and overtime management
Cost: Pricing varies depending on your agency’s needs.
The bottom line
There are many great police scheduling apps. If you’re looking for a new scheduling app for your police department, we recommend checking out the desktop software first so you can see if the app will be a right fit for your officers.